Special Event Structures Proposal F-303-16
F303-16 IFC: 3104.2.
Proponent : Marcelo Hirschler, representing GBH International (firstname.lastname@example.org)
2015 International Fire Code
Revise as follows:
3104.2 Flame propagation performance treatment. Before a permit is granted, the owner or agent shall file with the fire code official a certificate executed by an approved testing laboratory certifying that the tents and membrane structures and their appurtenances; sidewalls, drops and tarpaulins; and floor coverings, are composed of material meeting the flame propagation performance of Test Method 2 of NFPA 701 and the bunting and combustible decorative materials and effects, including sawdust where used on floors or passageways, are composed of material meeting the flame propagation performance criteria of Test Method 1 or Test Method 2, as appropriate, of NFPA 701 or as applicable. Alternatively the materials shall be treated with a flame retardant in an approved manner and meet the flame propagation performance criteria of Test Method 1 or the applicable Test Method 2, as appropriate, of NFPA 701, and that such. The flame propagation performance criteria are shall be effective for the period specified by the permit.
Reason: The scope and applicability of NFPA 701 explains that tent fabrics shall be tested using Test Method 2. In fact the information is both in 188.8.131.52 and in 184.108.40.206. Information about the text follows.
NFPA 701 discusses Test Method 2 in 220.127.116.11 and it says that it shall apply to the following:
(1) Decorative materials other than fabrics meeting the requirements discussed for Test Method 1
(2) Fabrics, including multilayered fabrics, films, and plastic blinds, with or without reinforcement or backing, with areal densities greater than 700 g/m2 (21 oz/yd2)
(3) Vinyl-coated fabric blackout linings and lined draperies using a vinyl-coated fabric blackout lining
(4) Plastic films
(5) Fabrics, with or without reinforcement or backing, used for decorative or other purposes inside a building or as temporary or permanent enclosures for buildings under construction
(6) Fabrics used in the assembly of awnings, tents, tarps, membrane structures or banners.
NFPA 1124 says that: Test Method 2 shall apply to fabrics used in the assembly of awnings, tents, tarps, and similar architectural fabric structures and banners.
Cost Impact: Will not increase the cost of construction
This clarifies the appropriate test, in accordance with NFPA 701.